Urban Pagan in Somerset

Urban Pagan in Somerset

Saturday 26 June 2010

Challenges

Every day brings a set of new challenges in life for everyone, and I am certainly no exception! The hardest thing i seem to have to deal with is based where I currently live. I remember when I was little, my parents used to say they only ever had problems with their neighbours over children and the arguments between them. And I have found this to be mostly true. I tend to be someone who keeps their own counsell most of the time, except when I feel my child is being bullied or singled out. So I assume I can talk reasonably to another adult human being to try and sort it out. Sadly this isnt always the case.

Im constantly amazed at the ease in which someone will use the most foul language in an attempt to attack another person. What is worse is when others from different households join in when it had nothing to do with them. And then I find it hard to understand that some parents allow their children to witness their behaviour, bad language or intimidating attitudes and are surprised if the children copy it. After all, we are our children's first teachers.

I live in a poorer area of the city and understand that lack of work, money and worry over how to afford some of the basics of life can make people irritable, afraid and sometimes unpleasant. I can also understand a parent leaping to defend their children and the intense emotion this can cause - I feel it myself too. But taking it out on other people, abusive behaviour; trying to intimidate and bully to make yourself feel better is not the answer. this means a lot of people dont get involved in their local community. I certainly dont as much as I would like to. It is a challenge I find hard to deal with although Ive not given up - just yet!

.
What I have done for my own peace of mind is to build up my own circle of protection around my home and children. I have a few charms around for protection and realised they probably needed 're-charging' so this weekends full moon is a good time to get it done. The only other thing I need to do is to let it go. But knowing myself fairly well, I realise I have to mull it over for a few days before I can finally put it down

No comments: