Urban Pagan in Somerset

Urban Pagan in Somerset

Friday 2 April 2010

spontaneous v organised events?


In the past I have thrown myself into celebrating the festivals of the year with great enthusiasm. Gathering friends and strangers together to create a circle - indoors or outdoors depending on the weather. From a camp in the Essex countryside with people from all over the place, to small intimate circles of friends in a local park or field. Ive enjoyed all the different ways of doing this, but none so much as the small family gatherings of just a few friends and children. And lately, even just alone or with my children. Its so easy to get caught up in the organising and coordinating of an 'event'! Making sure people know what they are doing or saying at each given moment. It can be lovely to be part of a ritual - where it is crafted like a beautiful piece of theatre. Very moving and evocative. But it can also be wonderful to be spontaneous. To do things that the spirit moves you to do. Some planning is still ok here. I wanted to make beautiful eggs for the spring equinox so getting the eggs and blowing them, drying them and getting all the craft stuff together needed to be organised. As was the evening I planned to do it on, which still ended up with some of my best friends joining me in an evening of art and poetry. But I actually enjoyed this far more than any planned ritual, circle or other gathered event that I have attended or organised.

Mind you im still off to join the faery festival in canterbury this weekend. Each event carries its own pleasure doesnt it.

No comments: